Alwaght- North Korea has warned that the US is taking dangerous steps pushing the situation to the brink of a nuclear war.
"The gang of Trump is taking an extremely dangerous and big step towards the nuclear war by recklessly seeking the naval blockade against our country," North Korea’s Central News Agency (KCNA) said on Thursday, citing a spokesman for the country’s Foreign Ministry.
"Should the US and its followers try to enforce the naval blockade against our country, we will see it as an act of war and respond with merciless self-defensive counter-measures as we have warned repeatedly," the spokesman said.
The situation on the Korean Peninsula remains tense as Pyongyang continues to develop its nuclear and missile programs, while Seoul and Washington hold joint military drills.
On November 29, North Korea conducted a missile launch, the first since September 15. After the launch, Pyongyang announced that the Hwasong-15 missile was capable of carrying a nuclear warhead, while the entire US territory was within its range.
Earlier this week, the US and Japanese warplanes held joint exercises south of the Korean peninsula, in what has been described as one of the largest military drills to date aimed at North Korea. A defiant US went ahead with the provocative war drills despite warning from Russia that the exercises will “increase tension” with North Korea.
The tensions on the Korean Peninsula have worsened after increased provocations by the US which includes military drills and deployment of warships and submarines in the region.
Pyongyang insists that developing its military defenses including nuclear weapons is important to counter incessant provocations by the US including a possible nuclear aggression.