ALWAGHT- Israel is said to be weighing a wider operation in southern Syria if Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) is found responsible for the early Friday attack on its troops.
Israel’s Kan broadcaster reports that some individuals planning attacks on Israeli soldiers and the Druze community in southern Syria are linked to Syrian intelligence services. However, it remains unclear how closely they are connected to HTS and whether Syrian authorities are aware of their actions.
On Friday, Israeli forces carried out helicopter and drone strikes on Beit Jinn near Damascus after entering the town, killing at least 13 people and wounding around two dozen. After two hours of fighting, Israeli troops reportedly withdrew and redeployed to nearby high ground.
Israeli media said six Israeli soldiers were wounded, three seriously, after what was described as a sudden ambush that prompted the use of air support and reinforcements. Channel 13 reported that Israel may reduce border abductions and rely more on airstrikes instead.
Syria condemned the attack as a war crime as Israel reportedly prepares for further escalation. Meanwhile, Israeli troops also briefly entered a village near Quneitra, part of a broader push deeper into Syrian territory following last year’s fall of Assad and the rise of an HTS-led authority in Damascus.
